Sunday 14 February 2016

Six weeks into 2016. . . how are you doing?!


We are now at the end of the first six weeks of the year. For me, that means that I have got through the first six weeks of the Spring Term and am now having a well deserved break!



So how have your new year's resolutions been going?! Are you still going strong or have you slipped a bit?! I am going to chat about each of the things that I have been doing; awesome notes and saving; weight loss; and finally Tessa's Moments!



Awesome notes and saving



I have now got £21 in my savings jar, having saved £1 in week 1, £2 in week 2, etc. It is amazing how a little can add up. I am aware that I may not be able to sustain this for the whole year but I am planning to keep going for as long as I can. If I get to week 30 (that's the end of July) I'll have £465, week 40 (that's the beginning of October) £820 and week 52 £1378!



My jar is filling nicely with awesome moments; I can smile warmly, now, thinking about some of the notes that I can remember in the last six weeks, so when I open it at the start of 2017 I may have to have a party to share some of the laughs that I will have with others!



Weight loss


This blog has been being written in my head for some time and up until this week I was going to write something along the lines of the tortoise and the hare and slow and steady winning the race and not rushing things. I will still say all of that but in six weeks I have managed to lose 8lbs, 5% of my original starting weight. I had set myself a goal to be back at my healthy BMI range by week seven and last week did not think that was possible but after the weight loss that I had this week I am really on target to achieve that:
Week 1: 1lb gain (first weigh in after Christmas and New Year)
Week 2: 3lb loss
Week 3: 1.5lb loss
Week 4: 0.5lb gain
Week 5: 1lb loss
Week 6: 3lb loss


I have lost a total of 9lbs since rejoining Weight Watchers and know that it just takes a bit of work. . . and commitment! 



I just want to add that I am keeping an eye on my weight loss to see if there is a pattern. I am a very boring eater and although what I eat is generally healthy, I tend to eat similar things every week. This would suggest that I should be losing the same amount every week but as you can see that's not true! Let's see what the weight loss looks like in another six weeks and see if there is a pattern. . . 



Tessa's moments



As part of my blog I have previously talked about headaches, trouble sleeping and other perimenopausal symptoms. I had a migraine at the beginning of December, which resulted in two days off work, and another one between Christmas and New Year that had me confined to bed for another two days. 

I was 'bullied' by the girls at work into going to the doctors and very much thought that the discussion would be me giving into HRT as I couldn't see any other way forward. I will not use the word depression lightly but I will say that the migraines were starting to get me down. . . significantly. 
The doctor I saw said that due to concerns raise in the medical community that doctors were now very reluctant to put women on HRT. Phew. . . at least I did not have to deal with that! We then had a discussion about SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and trying to deal with my symptoms or trying to manage the migraines when I get them. I think that anyone reading this who has suffered with migraines will know what my response was! Now this is the bit where I don't really know what the doctor is talking about but I'm putting my trust in him to give me something that might help!
I arrived back at work with my prescription for Fluoxetine to be informed by the girls at work that I'd been given Prozac. Does he think I'm a slightly crazy, middle-aged woman??!! He does know me, even though he'd only just met me!!!
I went home, did some research before taking the first pill, and then decided that it couldn't do me any harm. For those interested, I started taking the Fluoxetine on day 10 of my cycle, and the doctor told me that it would take at least two weeks for the drug to get into my system so it may not help so much with my cycle that month. I'd only been given a 30 day supply to start with and told to go and get some blood tests done. 
I went back four weeks later, having taken 27 pills, and having gone through a cycle. Did I get a migraine? Yes, but it wasn't half as bad as it had been for the two months before and it had helped with some of my other symptoms; the night sweats were not as bad and the waking up, and being awake for 2/3 hours in the night for up to 10 days before I come on, were greatly reduced. It did still wake at around 2.30am but was able to get almost straight back to sleep. The other added bonus was that normally challenging behaviours in teenagers were met with a very chilled out Tessa!!
The doctor gave me the results of my blood tests and informed me 'that I was ovulating like a trooper'! Thanks!! I'm not sure that this is what I wanted to hear but I do know that perimenopausal symptoms can present for up to ten years before you actually go through the menopause. Let's hope that the Fluoxetine continues do work!

So, in 7 weeks time I will be 47. I hope to have lost another 7lbs by then. I will be well and truly into my #Moonwalk training. I'll have also done the Grizedale Go Ape zip line with two awesome and probably slightly scared friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment