Saturday 27 February 2016

The start of Moonwalk training . . . for real!













So this week I started my #MoonwalkLondon2016 training in earnest.

I have been walking around 8 to 10 miles every Sunday since Christmas and this week it's now less than 11 weeks until the actual event!

We have been given a 12 week training plan which I have adapted to fit around what I currently do. By that I mean exercise and my life!



This week was three, 3 mile walks. It was recommended that we walk at a steady pace but as I have been doing fairly long walks for some time I wanted to see whether I could actually walk at pace and sustain it! Sunday was the first time I did it and I was walking on my own. I find walking on your own is more difficult than with someone as you don't have someone to help set the pace. I was really happy; I did 3.25 miles in 47 minutes, averaging 14.12 minute miles.

I did the second walk with a friend who will, hopefully all being well, complete the Moonwalk with me. We did the same distance averaging 14.11 minute miles. Great! I also felt that this is a manageable pace. Obviously, I am not sure that I can keep it up for 26.2 miles but that is what the training is all about!

When I devised the plan I'm not sure that I had thought properly about walking on a Friday night! As I walked home from work on Friday after a long week at work all I could think was I can't do this. I am very aware that an awful lot of the challenge is in your head and it can convince you not to do something. As soon as I got home I put my walking gear on and headed straight back out. I did exactly the same route and averaged 4.28 miles an hour and did it 2 minutes faster than I had on Tuesday night. I was very chuffed!! 

I know that I have said this before but I will repeat it again. I am someone who needs to have a plan of action. If I don't then I am likely not to do something. I like structure and order. I printed the 12 week plan onto A3 and have taped it to my fridge. I have crossed off every day and have done each day that I have planned, even the pilates, which was surprisingly harder than I thought that it would be!

So week 1 down and only 11 to go until the night of Saturday 14 May. I have bought myself a #walkthewalk bumbag this week which I will use for the first time tomorrow. I have been wearing a jacket and getting very hot; the only reason that I wear the jacket is to keep my house keys and phone in. I now have something to carry them in and it looks very fetching! 

The next plan of action is to set up my fundraising page because the main reason that I a doing this is to raise money. Obviously, there are some other benefits happening along the way!



No comments:

Post a Comment