Sunday 6 March 2016

All it takes is one song . . .

Is there just that one song or are there different songs for different times, feelings and emotions? I would say that the answer to that is there are many songs and sometimes you don't always hear the song until you listen to it. . . properly.

Here follows a list of SOME songs that spring to mind. When I hear them I can be put back in the time and place; they don't always bring back fond memories but they do bring back memories.

The Streets, Dry your eyes
James Blunt, Goodbye My Lover 
These two were for a time when something that wasn't always the best for me, which had been clung to, was finally given up. They will always be remembered for the dark place that, although only briefly, I found myself in.

Snow patrol, Chasing Cars 
Anything by Snow Patrol but particularly this song remind me of a friend who was taken from us too young. I still think about him often and wonder where our lives might have ended up; whether we would have ended up on the same track. We were never destined to be more than friends.

Ne-Yo, Because of you
Pussycat Dolls, Don't Cha
Coldplay, Viva La Vida
Flo Rida ft T-Pain, Apple Bottom Jeans
These are all for a time and summer that I will never forget. They make me remember the chrysalis that I was and the beautiful butterfly that I turned into. Unlike a chrysalis which only takes about four weeks to become a butterfly it was to take me another four or five years but these songs remind me of the start I had in discovering and believing in myself.

Adele's albums, 21 and most recently 25, have had a huge impact on me in the last few years.

The Adele song that is my go to song at the moment is All I ask. I'm putting the words down here but they do not do the song the total justice that it deserves when put with the music. When I established that it was co-written with, among others, Bruno Mars I could really hear the influence.

All I ask

I will leave my heart at the door
I won't say a word . . .
They've all been said before, you know
So why don't we just play pretend
Like we're not scared of what is coming next or scared of having nothing left!

Look, don't get me wrong

I know there is no tomorrow
All I ask is . . .

If this is my last night with you

Hold me like I'm more than just a friend
Give me a memory I can use
Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do
It matters how this ends
'Cause what if I never love again?

I don't need your honesty

It's already in your eyes and I'm sure my eyes, they speak for me
No one knows me like you do
And since you're the only one that matters
Tell me who do I run to?

Look, don't get me wrong

I know there is no tomorrow
All I ask is . . .

If this is my last night with you

Hold me like I'm more than just a friend
Give me a memory I can use
Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do
It matters how this ends
'Cause what if I never love again?

Let this be our lesson in love

Let this be the way we remember us
I don't wanna be cruel or vicious
And I ain't asking for forgiveness
All I ask is . . . 

If this is my last night with you

Hold me like I'm more than just a friend
Give me a memory I can use
Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do
It matters how this ends

'Cause what if I never love again?

For those who have been in love and lost that, for whatever reason, this song and the sentiment behind it really stir emotion in me. . . I hope to find love again but if I don't I have some cracking memories to remind me of what love was.

No comments:

Post a Comment