Saturday 5 March 2016

Magnets!

This is a Ladycare magnet


When I first started looking into and thinking about my perimenopausal symptoms I looked at several things which I have previously alluded to in my blog post You're not going crazy. One of those things was the Ladycare magnet. 


I can't remember if I saw it in Boots the Chemist and then did some research or if I had done some research and discovered it in my local Boots!?

One of the articles that I read was the following one; Belinda Carlisle: A magnet in my underwear cured my hot flushes. Belinda Carlisle is a musician from my youth; slightly older than me but I was very interested by the article and I watched a video on You Tube as well.

I have previously said that I was looking for any alternative to HRT and I was open to anything. It was not cheap. I bought it in Boots and paid £28.49. I have established that anything that involves being a woman, our monthly cycle and going through 'the change' all cost. That is anything from tampons, pads, vitamins and even those things that none of us women of a certain age ever talk about . . . the dreaded Tena's!!

Here is another one of those Tessa Moment's that is not quite as embarrassing as the The time I lost my Fitbit!!

If you have not come across one of these items or have decided to read the articles that I have linked to the post later, then you may not realise where you 'wear' the Ladycare magnet. It is worn in your knickers as the lovely picture shows. The idea is to wear it 24/7. I think that I managed to wear it for no more than a week because things kept happening to me!!

Where I work there is a hatch or window that enables students and other members of staff to talk to us in our office area. On the side of the hatch that you would stand and talk to the others in the office is a radiator. This is lovely in the winter and is often a great place to stand and warm your hands!

On my first day of wearing the magnet I was wearing what I classed as a standard fitting dress. I was very aware that if you knew I was wearing the magnet that you could see it but I was assured by colleagues than unless I pointed it out no-one else would ever know. . . really?! I think that they were just trying to be nice!! 

As I went about my normal day I passed by the hatch to ask a colleague something and heard a 'clink'. I had somehow got myself attached to the radiator! Oh no, the magnet!! We all had a little bit of a laugh at my expense and I carried on with my day. I suppose that was fine as I was in the relative safety of 'friends'.

I had two other occasions which made me decide that I could NEVER wear the magnet again. They both occurred in two separate supermarkets! What you have to remember is that the magnet is strategically placed at the top of your pubic bone and at your front! If it was at the back I doubt that anyone would be presented with the problems that I did!

Are you wondering where and how I got myself attached in a supermarket or have you worked it out? The edges of the conveyor belt at supermarket checkouts are metal! Not really an issue when you are loading your shopping onto the belt but the problem occurs when you lean over and get the 'Next customer' sign. The edge of the checkout for a 5'6 woman is at about pubic bone height! I was doing what we all do, going about my regular business, and then I found myself attached to the checkout! You hear yourself becoming attached and have to prise yourself away. . . hope that no-one around you has noticed and pretend that it didn't really happen!

On one of the occasions when in Sainsbury's I was able to tell the till assistant and have a laugh and joke with her as I know her very well but let me assure you than the next time it happened in Tesco's  I vowed that no matter how bad my perimenopausal symptoms were I would not be wearing the magnet again!

Let me not even go into the fact that I am a single woman and having to explain what my Fitbit, attached to my bra is for, to the uninformed. Imagine trying to explain a purple magnet attached to my knickers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment