Saturday 5 March 2016

Post Oscars. . .thoughts

One week on from the Oscars ceremony I am going to give my thoughts, as obviously I am now the new Claudia Winkleman! 

I have put the list that I originally posted back on here and then added the winner next to who/what actually won, plus what my own voting would have been and I will then add my thoughts at the end;

Best Picture
  • The Big Short
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Brooklyn
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant
  • Room
  • Spotlight -  WINNER
Best Director
  • The Big Short
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Revenant - WINNER
  • Room
  • Spotlight
Actor in a Leading Role
  • Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
  • Matt Damon,  The Martian
  • Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant - WINNER
  • Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
  • Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Actress in a Leading Role
  • Cate Blanchett, Carol
  • Brie Larson, Room - WINNER
  • Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
  • Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
  • Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Christian Bale, The Big Short
  • Tom Hardy,  The Revenant
  • Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
  • Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies - WINNER
  • Sylvester Stallone, Creed
Actress in a Supporting Role
  • Jennifer Jason Leigh,  The Hateful Eight
  • Rooney Mara,  Carol
  • Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
  • Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl - WINNER
  • Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs
Where my votes would have gone;
  • Best Picture: The Revenant
  • Best Director: The Revenant
  • Actor in a Leading Role: Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
  • Actress in a Leading Role: I can't say!
  • Actor in a Supporting Role: Sylvester Stallone, Creed 
  • Actress in a Supporting Role: Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
In my previous post Are you a film critic? I addressed the reasons for my votes based on what the nominations were. In this post I'm going to address some things that have come out pre and post the Oscars ceremony.

Interestingly, I do not understand how the Best Director and Best Film did not go to the same film. All I can think is that the subject of Spotlight was one that touched and may have had the academy members thinking 'it might have been me'. It was a good film, as I say the subject matter and how the film addressed the subject was very well done, but Best Film? I am unsure that it truly deserved that accolade.

The ONLY vote that I got right was for Alicia Vikander in The Danish Girl. I have already expressed my adoration for The Danish Girl as a film and I won't go any further on that.

I was truly disappointed that Sylvester Stallone did not win Actor in a Supporting Role for Creed. I have watched The Bridge of Spies and although Mark Rylance did a very good job I am left with a slightly bitter taste in my mouth. 

Here is the part where I may be slightly controversial and think that some may have a point or I'll pose the question that there could be a conspiracy going on here?! The screenplay for Creed was written by and directed by the same man; Ryan Coogler, a black man. The lead role was also played by a black man.

I also think that Will Smith may have had a point to be slightly miffed for not getting a nomination for Best Actor for his portrayal of Dr. Bennet Omalu in Concussion. This was a great film and like SpotlightThe Revenant and Bridge of Spies was based on a true story. Will Smith did an amazing job, like Eddie Redmayne, of really making you believe in him as Bennet Omalu. He was funny, at times, and an endearing character who you totally believed in and I, after having seen this film, would definitely have had him shortlisted for Actor in a Leading Role. 

Was this year's Academy Awards exactly as Chris Rock said in his introduction to the evening, 'the white People's Choice awards'?  I am not trying to make a political statement or open up any arguments but my thoughts are that at least two actors have not been given the credit that they deserve for the work and effort that they put into their chosen profession. That does not mean that I think that Will Smith should have won but I do think that he should have at least been nominated. I do think that Sylvester Stallone was robbed but then maybe he has appeared in too many action films to be taken seriously!?

As I said, I am no film critic just someone who has enjoyed going to the cinema and being able to give my thoughts.

If I get a chance, I will try and go back and do a review of each of the films that I have seen and I will endeavour to do the same for those that I do see over the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment