Friday 2 October 2015

Are you insane woman?!

About fifteen years ago (!) I was first described by a then five year old boy as 'the nutty woman'. I did things that I thought were normal but that he had never witnessed in his short life; my antics always brought a smile to his face, probably my intention. He and his mother know who they are and I'm sure that some of my antics would still bring a bemused smile to their faces!

How many exercise videos do you own? Honestly?! Every New Year when the 'celebrities' bring out a new one do you go and buy yourself one?? I have over the years bought many; the first Davina exercise DVD (I have difficulty doing any Davina DVD as so many of her mannerisms are mine!), Tracey Shaw, Salsa, before the days of Zumba, Kettleworx (I do love this one). There are too many to list I could go on and on!

As I believe one of my sons lovingly told me once, 'all the gear, no idea'! Well you have to have the right exercise gear before you start, don't you?!

I first saw an infomercial for Insanity about six years ago whilst on a Christmas break in New York. I'd never seen anything like it and when I eventually saw the same infomercial on British TV a number of years later I knew that I had to own it. I think it took at least another year to pluck up the courage to actually buy it! That I did a little over two years ago.

Insanity, for those who don't know, is a 63 day total body workout programme given in a series of DVDs that is as the title so rightly says . . . INSANE!

This programme is not for the faint-hearted and I am not suggesting that you all go out and buy it. Here we go with a Tessa Moment!! The first time that I attempted the programme I got to day 43; for the first four weeks you exercise for no more than 40 minutes six out of seven days. Days 29 to 35 are called Recovery (!) but the DVDs are still 40 minutes long. Once you hit day 36 the minimum amount of time spent each day is about 60 minutes.

How often have you said I don't have time to exercise? If it's important to you, you will make the time but what I have learnt is that when I am doing an exercise DVD I really don't like anyone else to be around so I was getting up at the crack of dawn to do the exercises as I was still holding down a full-time job and at that point doing three WeightWatchers meetings a week! Something had to give and yes it ended up being Insanity. . . 

Insanity is one of those things that when you are doing it you are dying but afterwards you feel great; the prospect of starting it is very daunting though. I attempted to do the programme again about this time last year but quit at day 45 . . . two days better than last time and now doing four WeightWatchers meetings a week!!

That takes us to now. . . today is day 6 and I WILL do it this time!! I have an empty nest, I no longer do WeightWatchers meetings so when I come home from work I can just think about me!! 

The first time I did Insanity I heard my calf 'pop' about three days into it; there is a lot of 'jumping'. What I realised is that MY body couldn't cope with the repetition of movement on a hard floor. I was 44 then, I'm now 46!! I own a rebounder, which I has been in the family for over 30 years! I think my parents still have one too! I have replaced the 'mat' on it once but it was fantastic when the kids were little. I now use the rebounder for all the exercises that require my body to be lifted off the floor; this means less strain on my joints and actually I'm getting more of a workout as the I'm having to balance on the rebounder.

My eldest son has always said that I can't do it. . . this time I want to prove him wrong! My last workout is on Saturday 28 November. I have one of my brothers as inspiration as he has done it and his before and after pictures are amazing. I haven't taken any photos this time as for me it's actually about completing it and if I look amazing at the end of it that will be a bonus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment