Sunday 11 October 2015

Friends

We all need friends, some of us more than others. My friends keep me sane (or maybe not!?) 

What makes a great friend? I'm not sure that there is a definitive answer to that; friends could be like cocktails, different ones for different occasions! At certain times in our lives we might need friends for very different reasons.


Do men and women have the same need for friends? I'm not sure and as a woman I can only answer for myself. As we travel on life's journey we may have had several different friendships. As a woman in my mid 40s I can say that I have had a 'best friend' in every decade of my life and each one of them has been different. I'm not sure what that says about me, maybe nothing, but maybe more about the fact that at different times in our lives we need different things out of friendships. I have to say that I am still in contact with all but one of my 'best friends' that I have had since the age of 18. It always amazes me that you can go for ages, maybe even years, and that you can meet up and just carry on where you last finished.

I am someone who will always offer a hand of friendship to anyone but I am maybe not very good at asking for help myself! So when I do my friends generally know that I am in need! I am the type of woman who doesn't need anyone to give me answers, usually! What I often require from a friend is just someone to listen to me speak. . . okay, they might be listening to me for a while!! Seriously a good friend, to me, does not try and solve my problems they listen, offer advice and don't judge. . . what works for them might not work for me.

Friends are also people that you can share memories with. . . and boy do I have some amazing memories from times that I have spent with friends. Sometimes just laughing can be the best form of remedy that anyone needs!

Let's spend time together and make loads more!

No comments:

Post a Comment